“By far and away the best school I attended...” bullet2

International Students

Hebron Christian College welcomes international students and enjoys the diversity of cultures in our school. Most of our international students come from South Korea, Japan and China but have had students from Indonesian, Russia, Germany and Taiwan. Currently there are 14 international students in the school under the care of Mrs Jeanette Starrenburg, our ESOL teacher. The principal, Mr Geoff Matthews, is the Dean of International Students and responsible for administering the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.


Hebron Christian College does enrol international students and welcomes students from other countries who wish to study in a Christian environment. As Hebron Christian College is a small private school, it does not offer a separate International English as a Second Language (ESOL) tuition programme. Students work in English-speaking regular classrooms but are offered small group (4 students) ESOL lessons four times (4 x 3/4 hours)a week at no extra cost.

Code of Practice

Hebron Christian College has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Ministry of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Ministry of Education website at http://www.minedu.govt.nz

Prerequisites to Enrolment

Hebron Christian College welcomes applications from international students and has, in the past, been successful in teaching students from other countries, developing their English language and promoting their understanding of Christianity which is a special feature of this school.

Hebron Christian College is an independent school and has the right to approve or decline any applications both from permanent or international students. This decision is based on the following criteria:


The school teaches students from Year 0 (New Entrants) to Year 13 with ages ranging from 5 years to approximately 17 years. Applications can be made out for international students from ages 5 years - 17 years. International students applying for entry to our Year 11, Year 12 and Year 13 classes, however, must have a good understanding of basic English and good study habits as the level of work in these classes is more complex and students prepare for National examinations.

Knowledge of English Language

Hebron Christian College is too small to run a separate English as a Second Language class and consequently, international students are placed in regular classes and largely given the same work as the New Zealand students in the class. International students joining a Hebron class, therefore, need to have a basic understanding of written and spoken English in order to learn and succeed especially students entering the classes at the higher level (Year 9-13). International students entering classes at the lower end of the school (Y0 - Y3) do not need much English competency as they quickly pick up the English language at that level and the work is much easier to understand. The following gives a rough idea of the level of English competency needed to join classes at Hebron Christian College

Special Christian Character

Hebron Christian College is a distinctively Christian school. Families enrolling their children at the school must fully support the Christian nature of the school or, at the very least, be willing to have their children participate in all aspects of the school programme including Bible study and discussion, Christian living classes and weekly chapel.


At Hebron Christian College International Students are only enrolled if appropriate accommodation is arranged by the students' parents. This accommodation arrangement is known as Designated Care. Hebron Christian College will only approve the following accommodation:
Year 1-6 Children Living with one or both parents
Year 7-8 Children Living with one or both parents, a close relative or family friend
Year 9-13 children Living with one or both parents, a close relative or family friend or with a homestay family
Points to Note:
  1. Parents undertake to find suitable accommodation in New Zealand for their children.
  2. Parents or legal guardians then sign an Indemnity Form stating that they take full responsibility for the provision of their child's accommodation in designated care while they are studying in New Zealand.
  3. It is the responsibility of the school to monitor that accommodation by undertaking a site inspection prior to enrolment and also if there should be a change of accommodation. (A site visit is not required when a child is living with a parent).
  4. At the time of the inspection, a police vet of anyone over the age of 18 will be arranged, should the visiting staff member deem it necessary.
  5. The purpose of the home visit is two-fold; to ensure that the basic needs of the student are met (e.g. a pleasant, private, warm, well-lit and ventilated bedroom), and to establish lines of communication with the designated caregivers.
  6. The school will interview the student at least once a term to ensure that the designated care arrangement is still working out well for the student.
  7. Year 1-6 children must live with one or both of their parents (or a legal guardian) at all times and are not permitted to be cared for by anyone else while both parents travel overseas, etc.

Student Visa

Non-residential students wanting to study at any New Zealand School must gain a "Student Visa" from the New Zealand Immigration Service. An application for a Student Visa can be obtained from the Auckland office at: 450 Queen St, Auckland City (Ph 914 4100) or visiting their website at: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/Migrant/Stream/Study/Students/HowDoIApply/ Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at http://www.immigration.govt.nz

Restricting Disabilities

Hebron Christian College has some children with minor physical, mental and social disabilities and they have been successfully integrated into the school programme. The school does not, however, have the ability to teach children with disabilities that are moderate or severe and must reluctantly refer such applicants to other schools with facilities and staff to manage these students.

Admission Procedure

  1. Request an International Student Enrolment Application Form from the school office.
  2. Complete and sign (parents or legal guardians) the form and deliver/post it to the school. Include a photo of the student, a certified copy in English of the students most recent school report, results of public examinations and details of proposed insurance cover (health and travel) and a $200 non-refundable Application Fee.
  3. An interview will be arranged with the student and parents (or guardian or agent). An English language assessment will also be conducted at this time.
  4. If accepted, you will receive an Enrolment Acceptance & Offer of a Place letter.
  5. A Tuition Agreement must then be signed by the parents or legal guardians.
  6. In order to gain a Student Visa from the Immigration Service you will need to:
    1. Fill out a Student Visa Application Form
    2. Provide evidence from the school (receipt) of fees paid in advance
    3. Produce a Letter of Acceptance from the school

Health & Travel Insurance

International students are not entitled to Government-funded health services while in New Zealand unless they are:
* A resident or citizen of Australia; or
* A national of the United Kingdom in New Zealand; or
* A holder of a temporary permit that is valid for two years or more.

If an international student receives medical treatment during their visit to New Zealand, he/she will be liable for the full costs of the treatment. We require all international students to have insurance that will cover the cost of medical treatment in New Zealand for the duration of the student's stay in New Zealand. We also require that parents obtain insurance to cover travel to and from New Zealand.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at ACC Website

2017 Annual International Student Fees     2018 Annual International Student Fees  

International Students
Application Fee Year 1-13 $200
Tuition Fees Year 1 - 3 $10,990
Year 4 - 6 $10,990
Year 7 - 8 $12,990
Year 9 -13 $16,390
Property Levy Per Family $2,500
International Students
Application Fee Year 1-13 $200
Tuition Fees Year 1 - 3 $11,320
Year 4 - 6 $11,320
Year 7 - 8 $13,380
Year 9 -13 $16,890
Property Levy Per Family $2,580

Hebron Christian College is a private school and only receives a small subsidy for domestic new Zealand students from the Government to operate the school.

Consequently parents of international students must pay higher fees to compensate for the loss of the government private school grant. 

Building costs, maintenance and mortgage servicing is covered in an annual one-charge-per-family levy known as the Property Levy

Information Booklet & Application Form

International Student Information Booklet Click here
International Student Application Form Click here


   Star About Hebron

Our distinct difference



The latest Education Review Office Report (2013) on Hebron Christian College has been publicised on the Government ERO website.

Read the review and see how well the school is performing. Click here

Contact Us

Tel: 64+9 846 2159

Email: admin@hebron.ac.nz

facebook  Like us on Facebook.